Lemon ricotta cookies are the perfect cookies for satisfying your sweet tooth. Made with ricotta cheese, lemon juice, and lemon zest, these cookies have a soft, chewy texture and a tangy lemon flavor. To enhance the taste, some recipes also include almond or vanilla extract.
The magic ingredient in these cookies is ricotta cheese, which gives them their signature soft and moist texture. When combined with the tartness of lemon juice and the refreshing zing of lemon zest, these cookies become a delectable treat that perfectly balances sweetness and tanginess.
Lemon ricotta cookies can be enjoyed in their pure, unadorned form or with a delightful lemon glaze on top. Lemons are especially popular during spring and summer when they are at their best. Whether you bake them for a special occasion or simply to indulge your cravings, these lemon ricotta cookies are sure to hit the spot.
Easy and Delicious Homemade Lemon Ricotta Cookies
If you’re looking for a simple treat to make, ricotta cookies are just the thing! These Italian classics are made with ricotta cheese, which keeps them moist and fluffy without any additional effort.
Unlike other recipes that use excessive sugar, this one strikes the perfect balance, so you’ll get just the right amount of sweetness.
You won’t need any other recipe for lemon ricotta cookies once you try this one. These cookies always turn out perfectly! If you’ve never had them before, you’re in for a delicious surprise. You can make them ahead of time by refrigerating or freezing them. The best part is that they stay soft and fluffy for days!
These cookies are fantastic for cookie exchanges or as gifts. They’re also great for celebrating holidays or any special occasion. So why wait? Try this simple and tasty Lemon Ricotta Cookie recipe! You’ll love the homemade flavor.
Easy Lemon Ricotta Cookies Recipe
- Baking powder
- Granulated sugar
- Whole milk ricotta cheese
- Powdered sugar
- All-purpose flour
- Freshly grated lemon zest and juice
Tips for Preparation:
- If your ricotta cheese is too wet, drain it in a fine mesh sieve to remove excess liquid
- For the best flavor, use organic lemons when zesting
- Squeeze the lemon juice and grate the zest ahead of time
- Weigh your all-purpose flour for accurate proportions, or lightly spoon it into a measuring cup without packing it down
Enjoy the light and refreshing taste of these homemade Lemon Ricotta Cookies! The combination of zesty lemon and creamy ricotta cheese will surely delight your taste buds.
Making Delicious Lemon Ricotta Cookies – A Step-by-Step Guide
Preparation Time: 2 hours (chill time)
Step 1: Mixing the Dough
- In a separate bowl, mix together the dry ingredients, combining the flour, baking powder, and salt with vigour to create a cohesive blend.
- In a large bowl, take up your electric mixer and beat together the softened butter, sugar, and lemon zest for two minutes until you have an airy concoction that smells like sunshine.
Step 2: Combining the Ingredients
- Mix the ricotta, egg, and lemon juice until even.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet mixture and stir until uniform, making sure to scrape the sides and base of the bowl.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap or a lid and chill the dough for two hours.
Step 3: Baking the Cookies
- Fire up the oven to a toasty 350 degrees and lay out a sheet of parchment paper on your baking sheet.
- Scoop up hearty portions of cookie dough, rolling them into balls so they are perfectly round. Be sure to give each one its own space, giving about an inch and a half between each cookie.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes until golden brown, then let them cool off before adding the glaze.
Step 4: Preparing the Glaze
- Combine the powdered sugar, lemon juice, and zest in a bowl and whisk them together until a glossy glaze is created with a texture that’s as smooth as silk.
Step 5: Adding the Glaze and Finishing
- Gently submerge the tops of the freshly-baked cookies into the glossy lemon glaze, until they are evenly coated.
- Set them aside on a baking sheet or wire rack to give the sweet glaze time to harden.
Enjoy the delightful zing and creamy texture of your freshly baked Lemon Ricotta Cookies! They are a perfect treat for any occasion.
Handy Tips for Perfect Lemon Ricotta Cookies
- For an exact result, use a scale to carefully measure the flour or delicately scoop it into a measuring cup ensuring that you don’t press down on it.
- Ensure your unsalted butter is at room temperature when using it in the recipe.
- If your ricotta cheese seems moist, strain it before incorporating it into the dough. Straining might not be necessary for most store-bought ricotta.
Opt for Organic Lemon
- Whenever possible, choose an organic lemon as you’ll be using the flavorful zest. One big lemon should yield enough juice and zest to make the entire recipe.
Chilling the Dough
- Before baking, it’s essential to chill the dough. This prevents excessive spreading and facilitates easy rolling into small balls.
Monitoring the Bake
- Lemon Ricotta Cookies won’t change significantly in color while baking. To determine their doneness, look for a slight browning on the bottoms.
Cooling the Cookies
- Wait until the cookies have cooled completely before adding the glaze. This ensures the glaze adheres properly and doesn’t melt.
- You have two choices for applying the glaze. You can put a spoonful of glazing on top of the cookies. Alternatively, flip the cookies over and dip their tops into the glaze for an even coating.
Lemon ricotta cookies are a delightful treat that combines the tanginess of lemon with the creamy texture of ricotta cheese. With their perfect balance of sweetness and tanginess, these cookies are an easy and delicious homemade delight that will surely delight your taste buds.