Vitamin B1, or Thiamin, allows your body to absorb fats, carbohydrates to convert it into energy, which our body utilizes in different functioning of your body. It helps in the metabolism of glucose and keeps our heart, nerves, and muscles in normal conditions.
Vitamins classification is on the basis of nutrients in which they get dissolved. Like for example, a few of the vitamins like B1 get absorbed in water. Whereas, there are a few vitamins that get dissolved in fats. The ones that get dissolved in water will then flow through the bloodstream. Whatever that is not in use, is eliminated outside the body along with urine.
There is a high concentration of Vitamin B1 (Thiamin) in,
- Outer layers and germ of cereals
- Whole grains
In the case of vegetables and fruits, Vitamin B1 is present in a better concentration in,
Breakfast cereals and products made up of white flour, or white rice has the right concentration of Vitamin B.
As per one research, the majority of Americans consume 50% of their Vitamin B1 in the food they eat. The rest of the intake is through the fortified food items containing Vitamin.
As per one study, heating, cooking, or boiling the food items destroys the content of Thiamin in the food. And since Vitamin B1 is water-soluble, it gets destroyed once you cook your rice. Like, once boiled, the amount of B1 in boiled rice will almost be negligible as compared to brown rice.
The National Institute of Health (NIH) suggests that one meal of fortified breakfast cereals will give 1.5 mg of Vitamin B1 to our body. When you consume one slice of wheat bread, you get 0.1 mg of Vitamin B1, which is like 7 percent of the daily recommended consumption.
Since Vitamin B1 is water-soluble, humans are always recommended to consume a diet that is full of Vitamins. Vitamin B1 does not remain stored inside the body. It just flowed through the bloodstream and was eliminated if not required.
Benefits of Vitamin B1 (Thiamin) to our body
- Vitamin B1 helps us to stay away from diseases like Beriberi. The condition involved improper functioning of our heart, respiratory system, and digestive system.
- It helps in rescuing the nervous system, brain, muscles, stomach, and intestines from any dysfunctioning.
- Most importantly, it has shown excellent results against CoronaVirus, which is presently creating problems for human beings throughout the world.
Medical conditions that will be resolved using Vitamin B1 (Thiamin)
People who suffer from severe ulcer, weak immunity system, or poor digestive system, may end up consuming Vitamin B1. Doctors give Thiamine injections, especially to patients in Coma.
Some of the athletes also consume Thiamin to increase their performance in their sports.
A few of the medical conditions that human can treat using Thiamin are,
- Patients suffering from AIDS
- Cerebellar Syndrome
- Cervical Cancer
- Diabetic Pain
- Heart Disease
- Motion Seeks
- People with lower immunity
Though we have listed these conditions, before consuming Thiamin, we do recommend you to consult your family physician.
Humans are brilliant enough to judge what they are suffering from, and they usually connect with their physicians to get the final advice. For your understanding, we have listed some of the symptoms you will see in your body functioning in case you are suffering from Vitamin B1 deficiency.
- Vitamin B1 deficiency may lead to problems like Beriberi, where patients may find problems with peripheral nerves.
- The body weight is reduced considerably.
- Patients will suffer from Anorexia.
- They will go through some mental illness.
- There is short-term memory loss.
- They often remain confused in their decisions.
- You will suffer from weaker muscle power.
- There are many cardiovascular symptoms.
The best possible way to remain safe from Vitamin B1 deficiency is by knowing the amount of B1 consumption one needs to have during the day. Let us now understand the daily consumption level.
- The recommended daily amount of Vitamin B1 consumption for males is 1.2 mg. Whereas, for females, it is 1.1 mg.
- When you are pregnant, we recommend you increase the consumption level of 1.4 mg.
Who is at risk of getting Vitamin B1 deficiency?
- Patients who are suffering from a poor diet are usually prone to Vitamin B1 deficiency.
- Patients having cancer, or are in a coma, are having a condition of Vitamin B1 deficiency.
- If you are suffering from morning sickness during your pregnancy, then you are supposed to have a lack of Vitamin B1.
- Presently, the world is suffering due to the pandemic of the CoronaVirus. Patients who are detected having COVID-19 suffer from a deficiency of Vitamin B1.
- People who regularly consume alcohol in access will have a lack of Vitamin B1 as their body is not capable enough to absorb Vitamin B1 from the food they consume.
- Wernicke - Korsakoff syndrome is caused due to excessive drinking of alcohol. People with this syndrome are often deficient in Thiamin. If they do not receive any treatment on time, then there are chances of them losing their life.
- Conditions like HIV, where there is a problem in the absorbing power of the body, will have a deficiency of Vitamin B1.
Now that you know the food items that will help you to raise the Vitamin B1 level in the body, its medical conditions, and symptoms, let us now check how Vitamin B1 functions in our body?
The working of Thiamin in our body
- Vitamin B1 (Thiamin) easily converts Carbohydrates, Fats, and Proteins into energy or glucose.
- Vitamin B1 helps keep your heart, muscles, intestine, and nerves working as expected.
- In the nervous system, Vitamin B1 is required to carry out the normal brain functioning.
- Vitamin B1 is, at times, considered as the Anti-Stress vitamin, as it helps in reducing the chronic stress conditions.
There are as such no specific significant side effects of Vitamin B1. But, it is always recommended to consume Vitamin B1 orally under the guidance of any medical physician.Tags: Vitamin B1